Purpose: To promote professional development among institutional research professionals that work in institutions and organizations located in states associated with the Southern Association for Institutional Research (SAIR).
Eligibility: Travel Grants are available to both active members and newcomers (individuals who will become new members of SAIR at the immediate next annual conference). Upon review of the applications by the Member-at-Large responsible for travel grants, a recommendation is made to the SAIR Board of Directors who will approve the grant awards.
Number and Amount of Grants: A maximum of eight grants in the amount of $300.00, plus waiver of conference registration fee, will be available each year for travel to the SAIR conference.
The Larry G. Jones Travel Grant is also available for graduate students presenting their research at the conference, for more information, click here
Application Materials and Considerations: To be considered for the award, application materials must be submitted to the Member-at-Large that is responsible for travel grants. The deadline will be announced in the annual conference “Call for Participation”. The following items must be submitted:
- applicant’s name, institution/organization of employment, and year (or location) of first SAIR conference;
- a brief resume/curriculum vita;
- a statement of how receiving the grant will contribute to professional development, particularly with regard to future activity in SAIR;
- a statement describing financial need and the financial support available from his/her institution and other possible sources;
Criteria for Awarding of Grants: Recommendations by the Member-at-Large to the Board of Directors for travel grant awards will be based on information submitted in the application materials.
Applications from individuals who have not received a travel grant from SAIR within the past two years will receive priority.
To apply for a travel grant, please send application materials to Alice Simpkins at email@example.com by July 31.
Bill Fendley Travel Grant:
The Bill Fendley Travel Grant was established in 2007 to honor William R. Fendley who was a Distinguished Member, recipient of the James R. Montgomery Outstanding Service Award, and a Past President of SAIR. Bill served as a mentor to many and was always one of the first to greet newcomers to the profession and/or the organization. Because of the this, the Board designated one of the the travel grants as the Bill Fendley Travel Grant to be awarded to a member who was a newcomer the previous year, basically a “sophomore” to the SAIR Conference. One of the applicants for the travel grants, who fit the criteria will be selected as the awardee, no separate application is required. Previous winners include:
- 2016 – Melanie Fox, Radford University
- 2015 – Elizabeth Riesser, Kentucky Community and Technical College System
- 2014 – Marisa Yates, Miami Dade College
- 2013 – Austin Ryland, University of Alabama
- 2012 – Brenda Turner, Faulkner University
- 2011 – Terry Zhu, Lurleen B. Wallace Community College
- 2010 – Leslie Odom, University of Dallas
- 2009 – Joy Evans, McLennan Community College
- 2008 – Nikki Thompson, Alvin Community College